Friday, January 28, 2011

So, Where Did January Go?

January 2011 has come and nearly gone. When did that happen? And I haven't blogged all month? Truth is, I have no adventure stories and I have little news. I simply must get out of the house from time to time!

Nevertheless, all is well: We are happy, healthy and have been enjoying our fourth full month in Nice. I suppose we have gotten into a routine of sorts. I have been working steadily as an associate editor for Focus.com, and was recently contacted by an associate who needs another set of eyes for a travel book she has written. Five (sometimes more) days per week toiling on my computers may not be the path to adventure, but it does keep my bank account in the black. As any freelancer will tell you, it's an absolute thrill to be busy! And Vince is making daily sojourns around town, running errands, taking exquisite care of me and Honey (and devouring novels on his Kindle and in the old-fashioned, 'analog' format as well).

The big highlight since my last blog post on New Year's: I turned 45 on January 19th. Quietly. Carefully. One should tread lightly into what the French call "moyen age" (middle age). N'est-ce pas? Our friends Sonia and Olivier stopped by for champagne and nibbles, and we all raised a few glasses together -- good times.

They are wonderful company, and so thoughtful. They brought some beautiful roses that still look terrific after two weeks. Honey likes them too.

So, I have nothing earth-shattering to share, no madcap misadventures to report. We have decided that we will be returning to SF at the start of April, and are making plans to return to Nice from mid-July to mid-October. And we hope to spend a full year in Nice in 2012, with trips back to the US sprinkled throughout the year. That's the plan for now.

Meanwhile, we are very much looking forward to Carnaval de Nice. It's less than three weeks away, and parade bleachers are being put in place throughout town.

I'll certainly have plenty to share about Carnaval, and a post or two before then.

1 comment:

Michael J. Krull said...

Even your self confessed "boredom" is great to read about, Alec. It cuts through the monotony of work, grad. school, snowy curbs, and salt scarred schoes stateside. Keep 'em coming if you can. These are litle gems of sanity and pearls of "oh how I miss...". Hi to Vince!