Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Vacation that Almost Was

A few days after we arrived in Nice, our friend from San Francisco, Linda Wolfe, came to stay with us for a three-week vacation. Linda stayed for just shy of a week, as she had hurt her back prior to the trip. Even though she shortened her stay, we made the most of our time together.

Linda and I took the train to Menton, where we strolled the beach and stopped for a refreshing beverage. Later, Linda treated me to lunch, magret de canard avec fruits rouges -- duck breast with red fruits.


We both went to the beach a couple of times, where the sun was hot and the water was “heavenly,” as Linda said. And although she wasn’t feeling super, Linda was (as always) wonderful company.

St. Augustine of Hippo said, "The world is a great book, of which they that never stir from home read only a page." It's one of my favorite quotes. Of course, Augie also said, "Love the sinner and hate the sin" — one of my least favorite quotes.

At any rate, I'm glad Linda was able to share a "page" of the Cote d'Azur with Honey, Vince and me.

No comments: